Skim Coating A Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I have just skimmed my kitchen ceiling and being that i'm no proffessional Plasterer there are ovbviously small indentations in the plaster and light trowel marks.
Can anyone recommend a method on how to remove these marks? (The indentations are about 1mm thick.
I was planning to apply a couple of coats of polycell ceiling paint. Will this work?

Sponsored Links
it will do, but if you want a smooth finish just use some fine surface filler and strike it off with a filling knife, then emulsion.

Thermo

Thanks for your reply thermo, I guess I will go with that and fill in the indentations with fine filler, and sand down slight trowel marks.
Would you still recommend the use of the polycell Ceiling Paint ? (It is of the non textured variety). Or just use white emulsion. I suppose I could always sample a small area.
Thanks again.

personally id spend the time on the preperation and use emulsion, but its up to you really

Sponsored Links
I agree Thermo, I spent a good couple of hours going over the ceiling with a sander with fine paper to my amazement all the marks sanded away. I then put on a priming coat of emulsion to seal the plaster, i'll see how it looks after a couple of coats of emulsion tommorow.
Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back