skimmimg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had my bathroom walls skimmed but damp patches are showing through a year later. I scrapped away the blistering parts of paint that covered the walls to find some of the crumbling damp plaster that came away showed the plasterer had skimmed over the already painted wall beneath. My question is, should the plasterer have removed the paint and old plaster before skimmimng or is it standard practice to skim over painted walls?

Sponsored Links
How would you have removed the paint!

Anyway I'm not a plasterer, but I think I would have taken care of whatever was causing the damp. Then removed all damaged parts and bought level using either bond or sand & cement (dont know which). Then I would have put a solution of PVA (diluted with water, maybe 3 or 5 to 1) on the wall. After which I would have expected to able to skim it.

As I say, I'm not a spreader, so maybe one of tne pro's can advise, but this is what I would have done.

jbonding said:
have you got a vent in the room or a fan?
No vent or fan but builder reckoned just opening the window when showering to stop condensation build up

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back