Skimming Plaster Walls - Is it worth it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Recently moved into a victorian end of terrace and finally got around to removing the, lovely, embossed paper. The plaster is actually not that bad and i am thinking about skimming it. The question is, should I, who is pretty 'handy' but never done plastering/skimming before, try to do this myself or should i get someone in.

Currently we need to do 3 rooms. Lounge and diner which are about 4x4 squares and then the hall which is about 4x1.

Realistically if i try this myself will it look rubbish or if not are there any good tips to getting a decent finish? If i were to pay someone to do that roughly how much would it cost bearing in mind i am in Wimbledon, London.

thanks

please note forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
Hi sorry can't see can't quote. Too many factors to take into account.

If you want the walls skimmed best leave it to the pro's it is not just something that you can pick up as you go. If the walls are not too bad why not fill and line. may be worth getting a plasterer in to quote and then getting a decorator in for a price on filling and lining and go with the one you feel happiest with.

I reakon it’ll be well into 4 figures! If it’s not that bad, go for localised repairs; as DSD says, it’s not something you can pick up that easily, it’s a bit of a cross between skill & black art! You need to either watch & ask loads of questions (as I did) or get hold of one of those videos you can buy. If your good with your hands & have an understanding how the various materials behave you may stand a chance but it’s likely to be one of the most difficult things your ever likely to attempt.

All the plaster in the rural property I’m renovating is a disaster along with some of the most gruesome Artex work you’ve ever seen. Plastering is a skill that doesn’t come cheap &, due to budget restrictions, it had to be DIY for me but I can turn my hand to anything & seemed to have a knack for it from the start. I am now at the stage where I can confidently go at it but I still get the jitters before I start. I have a builder doing some other work for me & he said if I carried on like that he’d give me a job but I really don’t think I could do it for a living; it’s very satisfying when you see the finished result but it’s bl**dy hard work!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back