Skimming walls advice....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hiya,

me again!

Have a couple more questions, the walls which I am about to skim have the original plaster, I have removed all the bad plaster back to brick and will fill with some bonding plaster, the remaining plaster is in good nick and has not come away from the wall (have tapped).

Then.....I am going to:

a) Use some plastering tape (should i use a particular type) to cover the hairline cracks on existing plaster
b) PVA (50:50 mix with water) the wall and leave to dry for a day (to seal)
c) PVA (50:50 mix with water) the wall, leave till tacky then skim

Is there anything I have missed??

Am just a bit concerned that all the hairline cracks will re-appear (although the pvc seal should stop this?), I know you can never avoid a few cracks due to shrinkage and movement, but just do not want to do the above for no reason.

We cannot afford to go back to brick, so if the above is futile we will paper the existing plaster as it is in good nick and will just replace the bits that need doing.

Sponsored Links
a) Use some plastering tape (should i use a particular type) to cover the hairline cracks on existing plaster
Some still swear by original cotton jute tape but I use self adhesive, glass fibre reinforcing tape which will probably be easier for you; put overlapping layers on badish cracks; if the cracks are bad that it looks as if the blocks underneath may be cracked then you need to investigate & take more serious remedial action as no amount of tape, of whatever variety, will hold it together.
b) PVA (50:50 mix with water) the wall and leave to dry for a day (to seal)
As you have some original plaster, I’d make that around 30% PVA & give the porous bits an extra dose.
c) PVA (50:50 mix with water) the wall, leave till tacky then skim
I’d use the same 30% mix.
Is there anything I have missed??
A few hail Mary’s.
Am just a bit concerned that all the hairline cracks will re-appear (although the pvc seal should stop this?), I know you can never avoid a few cracks due to shrinkage and movement, but just do not want to do the above for no reason.
PVA will never stop the cracks reappearing, that’s not what it’s for but as long as the cracks don’t go back through the blocks/bricks, you tape them well & the wall isn’t still moving, they should not reappear but there are no guarantees.
We cannot afford to go back to brick,
Not necessary if the original is in good condition.
so if the above is futile we will paper the existing plaster as it is in good nick and will just replace the bits that need doing.
Na don’t do that.

cheers Rich for the reply :)

95% of the original plaster remains and only has hairline cracks, it is still all the original plaster (1930's) and the loose plaster which I've removed is where the house moved.....

which looks like it moved during build as you can see the bricks have moved and was plastered very thin, the previous owners had put in a fitted wardrobe which has caused most of the plaster damage.

am getting a pro in for the ceiling (am happy doing walls, but the ceilings are all curved towards beams/exterior walls) so will get their advice, but have trowel in hand and raring to go.....the wall skimming part I am happy with - but making sure of the preparation which obviously is paramount :cool:

cheers again for advice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back