Skirting under tile on dot and dab and plaster - what fixings to use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put skirting on three walls, each one slightly different. Wall one is plaster over a horrible cardboard paramount partition, wall two is brand new dot and dab plasterboard over the brick wall, and wall three is also dot and dab on brick, but has been tiled down to the level where the skirting board will go once the floor is down.

I'm making a shopping list and I'm trying to work out what I need for each wall. Grip fill adhesive seems to be the typical answer but I'm wondering if I should try to put some wall plugs in and screw the skirting on in a few places. Especially for the crappy cardboard wall, as I wonder if having a bit of wood screwed into it would help strengthen it. But is it necessary?

Sponsored Links
Hardly at all.

Actually after reading many threads yesterday I'm wondering if I should try the expanding foam option. Nice thing about that is that it would be much easier to remove if necessary. An attractive concept for the fragile wall especially.

DIYer
I have used foam for skirting after seeing it suggested on here. Worked well.
Gun grade foam with a gun from Ebay. More control than the cans with tubes.

Are your walls flat? I guess they will be by your description of them.
You will need some way of holding the skirting to the wall if not.
Something very heavy or props screwed to the floor

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Yeah they are brand new plasterboard so they should be totally flat.

Something very heavy
it's not that strong an expansion! Against damp surfaces and in a warm environment you might get 3x out of normal (not low-expansion) foam but a few well spaced bricks and covering a third of the back would be ok.. Most important bit is not to collapse the foam by flattening it hard against the wall; it doesn't seem to recover. If the skirting does need to go hard against the wall an expanding urethane glue might be better

it's not that strong an expansion! Against damp surfaces and in a warm environment you might get 3x out of normal (not low-expansion) foam but a few well spaced bricks and covering a third of the back would be ok.. Most important bit is not to collapse the foam by flattening it hard against the wall; it doesn't seem to recover. If the skirting does need to go hard against the wall an expanding urethane glue might be better
I meant if the wall is not flat and the skirting needs pulling (or pushing) in until the adhesive sets :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back