Sky in france and Sky+

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my sister in law moved to France and took her Sky with her so she could watch some decent TV although thats debateable sometimes.

Anyway her box is playing up and she was looking to get a cheap replacement. I looked on ebay. She is coming over in January so she wants me to get her one cheapish.

Can she use a Sky+ box even though she does not subscribe to Sky+ or have a Sky+ box at the moment, ie can she simply put her card in the sky+ box and get the same she had before?

Is there a reason she should just get an ordinary one and not a Sky+ one?

If it is a Sky+ box and therefore has a harddrive, can you use the harddrive to record? Might be a silly question as I know you have to subscribe to get Sky+ but if you dont does that disable the HD somehow?

Is there a preferrable make she should get for reliability? Panasonic, Pace? I went through loads when they changed one that I had that was faulty until I finally got one without problems that would last. I was told they are nearly all just reconditioned ones and thats why, even though they all look new when they bring them round.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you get a sky plus box you will, in most cases, have to get a new dish and most definately a new lnb as the cable changes from a single feed to a dual feed as so to use the sky plus playback and live pause features.

skybluescooby said:
If you get a sky plus box you will, in most cases, have to get a new dish and most definately a new lnb as the cable changes from a single feed to a dual feed as so to use the sky plus playback and live pause features.

Yes I realise that but can you successfully use a Sky+ box if you don't have Sky+ ? I know its a waste but she is looking at a Sky+ box that she may be able to get cheap and is not bothered about actually having Sky+.

Also if she did this and only subscribes to SKY but not SKY+ what will go on with the HD, ie is it disabled somehow if you don't subscribe to SKY+?

I think youre gonna hit loads of complications as hd has its own box, sky plus has its own box so i guess by using a sky plus box you will in turn only get normal sky. HD and sky plus COULD work but again it'll probably be the same as normal sky

Sponsored Links
One additional question please, when you do get a new box do you have to do anything ie I think when they have replaced a faulty box for me in the past they do something like phoning Sky and register the card to the box, or something. So if you are changing a box yourself what do you have to do anything or nothing so that it will work?

One additional question please, when you do get a new box do you have to do anything ie I think when they have replaced a faulty box for me in the past they do something like phoning Sky and register the card to the box, or something. So if you are changing a box yourself what do you have to do anything or nothing so that it will work?

again, im no expert but i do believe that each card is registered to its individual box, found this out once as i had subscribed to prem plus and thought it would be a good idea to take the card round my mates house to watch the footy, card , once inserted it said, this card is not registered to this box, please call sky,

Have you this website www.satcure.co.uk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back