Skylight glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing the glass in my large 'Victorian' skylight. There are three large panes (approx 5'6" x 1'6" each) and all three are cracked.

I'm intending to use double-glazed units, so will need to add to the depth of the frame.

Question: The original glass is obscured wired. I like the idea of it being clear, so we can see the clouds / stars etc.

As long as it's laminated there shouldn't be any reason to use wired glass. Am I correct?

Sponsored Links
A toughened unit will be a lot lighter than a laminated unit

• Thanks
Reactions: SNM
Sponsored Links
Oh it would joe but i didn't give weight a thought, i was just thinking from a safety point of view i.e. staying in one piece if it got hit, by a firework or bird, you could specify the outer pane as lam and internal as toughened, that'd save a bit of weight

• Thanks
Thanks for the replies.

That's very interesting about the weight issue.

I had thought about the fact that d'g units are obviously going to (approximately) double the weight, but hadn't thought that there would be a difference between, say toughened and laminated, or even clear wired.

Something I should definitely take into consideration with a fairly large area that's not in the vertical plane.

I'm going to need to replace some timber with extra thick glazing bars.

SNM, speak to these guys:-

http://www.artglass.org.uk/index.html

I've used them a few times, they must only be a few miles from you (Knowsley). Can't recommend them highly enough. They will advise you exactly what you need and where to get it local if they cant supply.

hth.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back