Slanted bedroom floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Is there anything I can do with my main bedroom floor?

From left to right its circa 6 inches out across the width of the bedroom (estimate).

If I rip up all the floor boards could I just put more wood onto the joists to make them higher so the floor boards run level?

Any advice appreciated. Also is this going to be expensive?

Info:

2 bedroom semi detached
There is a studded wall separating the bedroom and hall.

Sponsored Links
you could always cut a bit of the bed legs to compensate :LOL:

don't see why you shouldn't add a tapered strip onto top of each joist so long as it isn't going to prevent a door opening etc

you could always cut a bit of the bed legs to compensate :LOL:

don't see why you shouldn't add a tapered strip onto top of each joist so long as it isn't going to prevent a door opening etc

The thought had crossed my mind lol ;)

What would have caused this? Does it have to be that the joists have slipped? Its a similar situation with the bloody roof.

Im not great at DIY mate, or terminology, what is a tapered edge?

There will be a door opening up into the room and thats what im worried about. I dont want there to be a step anywhere near the door...god i am so lost with this. To top it off a floor board snapped yesterday and my brother put his fut through the ceiling!!! :rolleyes:

Should I just leave the room slanting or sort it out, I dont want it to cost an arm and a leg :confused:

Use furring strips fixed to the top of the joists

You'll have to put some noggins in at the 6" end :eek:

Sponsored Links
in old houses this is quite common but you say a stud wall between bedroom and hall
so is this an old house with a divide of a larger room or is it a more modern house?

EXample: taper = a 2" x 2" cut diagonally would end up as two pieces each with one end 2"x2" and other 2" x 0" thus creating a slope

to get the right taper you need to work out length you need and difference in height (use a level and measure from floor to bottom of your level = height)

things to consider when leveling floors

the floor will rise requiring repositioning of the skirting

it may also affect the sockets and the doors specificly if you have a 6ft6" door and you loose 6" you have a 6x6" door minus 6" and minus nearing 1" for the door stop so a hazard if your more than 5ft10"

your dado rails may need moving to look right
your windows may need replacing with toughend glass if they are within 900mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back