Sleeper capping on brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single skin wall 4 courses high so only small but the brick capping keep coming off. The walls against the lawn so I'm thinking of removing the cappings and laying new sleepers along the wall. Half the sleeper will cover the brick half will be on top of the lawn. My theory is this will be far more secure due to weight and surface area.

My main question is will it look odd with a sleeper capping? I can't find any pics on google of it.

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert, but is it not more likely that wood of any description (even sleepers) is more likely to seep water into the top of the wall, which is what capping is supposed to avoid?

You would also need to consider how the ends of adjoining sleepers would be joined as that seems like a great channel for water to get into the wall.

It's a single skin 3 or 4 course wall so capping is purely cosmetic not structural.

I don't think it would look odd at all. We have timber fencing on top of a low level brick wall. Not really the same thing but the timber and brick contrast works well.

Also if you have a bit of a ridge it might make the water run away from the wall.

Sponsored Links
I've decided to do it. I'll get some pics up once it's done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back