Sleeper retaining walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m thinking about building a retaining wall (about 2 fr high) using wooden sleepers. I guess in time the sleepers will rot? Does anyone know any tricks to prolong their life?, and how long should I expect them to last? Is there a certain type I should use ?

Cheers
Mike

Sponsored Links
a plastic membrane on the soil facing side of the wall would help as well, right ?

Sponsored Links
I have a 1 metre high sleeper wall on the uphill side of a log cabin, it has been down at least 5 years. I put gravelly soil behind the sleepers, arranged for it to be able to let any water soak away from the bottom of the wall and put a plastic sheet behind the sleepers, no signs of any rot yet. I used H beam laid into the ground using an auger, so the girders are about 5-6 feet long and do not protrude above the top sleeper. I arranged for a definite slope to the wall so that it does not have to hold back as much dead weight as a vertical wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back