Sliding Door Overlap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi- I'm finally getting around to installing sliding doors in the utility room- bought a Slik 1828mm runner kit to hang the doors which will need cut, and am planning to use B&Q's most basic veneer doors (35mmthick, 1981mm high and 838mm wide). At this width would a 38mm overlap be enough? It's only for a storage cupboard and obviously gives me a neat internal finished width of 1600mm to work with? Or is this too little? I've got the runner so can work out the distance from the where the door tops will be to the top of the runner so can crack on with the frame once a few calculations are done(!) and get the doors after xmas....

Sponsored Links
your overlap will be 3" 76mm
as long as the gap between the face off one door and the other isnt to big say around 12mm then 38 or 76mm will be fine

Basic doors often have less than 10mm of timber at edges to trim down, take this into account [you said you need to cut]or you will have nothing to attach sliding fixings too.

I won't be cutting the doors at all- opened the runner up to get the instructions it advises 48mm plus height of door. As I'm forming the opening using a finish wood 18mm thick the underside of the stud work has to be 18+18+48+1981 from existing floor level. The overlap it advises should be no more than 25mm so making the finished width at 1650(studwork will be 1686 apart internally to allow for 18mm finished jambs)
My new concern is that the missus wants these handles fitted:

http://designerhandle.co.uk/Pull-Ha...l-Round-Flush-Pull-(Medium)/product_info.html

As the doors won't be high grade can I still assume they will have a mid rail that these could be fitted into? Or are doors as cheap as these a rectangular frame with ply glued on?! Don't have a router either could be a real pain in the butt unless I can borrow one!

Sponsored Links
you may or may not have a lock block aproximatlly 300mm long 120mm wide on one or both sides on the centre line
tap the sides to locate the blocks iff fitted you can also look for "L" or "H" on the end to denote lock or hinge sides

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back