Slow Refilling and Broken Handle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help?

Have a toilet that is not working as it should.

Firstly it is taken an awful long time to refill. Is it probably a case of a blocked tube? Any ideas how to resolve from below picture?

Secondly the handle on the outside pulls down to flush but can be twisted round 360 degrees when it should just go down in a fixed position and spring back up. Any part that might need replacing?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Oh dear, how about a new toilet?

Only kidding... though you really could do with a new fill valve or is there an isolator valve on the inlet pipework that could be turned up? Chances are though that the valve is beyond its best.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-brass-shank-side-entry-fill-valve/49088

And a replacement handle cause it looks like the plastic arm has rounded out, you may actually be able to get a replacement universal plastic arm for it in one of the sheds

http://www.screwfix.com/p/swirl-standard-cistern-lever-chrome-effect/64769
http://www.lovebathrooms.co.uk/toil...ble-arm-complete-with-grub-screw-dca1700.html

Sponsored Links
I would have recommended a new flapper myself Char :p but looking at those screws in the cistern I think taking that cistern off to replace the flush might be a complete mare and the brass shanked inlet, much less likely to cross thread for a DIYer

Cheers for the responses.

Will head to Screwfix and get a new handle and valve I think, may as well, it's a pretty old toilet!

Would prefer not to replace the whole syphon if possible. Currently got a float ball in it too which presumably they'll be no need for with that type of valve.

The whole ball float and inlet valve will be replaced by the new fluidmaster one. The square blue part on the fluidmaster is the float

Yeah.

Now do I keep the brick in it? :LOL: As I'm from Yorkshire, the answer should be yes!

Will double check it's the plastic arm tomorrow and then sort getting one.

Now do I keep the brick in it?
Or replace with another 'volume adjuster'.
I have a 2 litre plastic milk bottle filled with water.
Not tight ( ;) ) just doing my bit to save a precious commodity.

Toilet fine-tuned to remove a 'normal' number 2 with about a 3 litre flush (flapper valve).

I would have recommended a new flapper myself Char :p but looking at those screws in the cistern I think taking that cistern off
I think it's a low level suite, not close coupled (might be wrong but... It's not a pot cistern) so removal would not be necessary.

I do not believe Fluid master will work in there as the lever and Lift arm which is attached to the C link looks different

have you tried using SV97267 is a Syphon and Inlet Valve SV81767 this should resolve your problem

I do not believe Fluid master will work in there as the lever and Lift arm which is attached to the C link looks different
I'll wager a weeks wages that it'll work.

Your theory that it wouldn't work is.....?

Sorry Mark that was only my opinion, we are all lookoing for a solution so if it works then thats fine am sorry

You're also recommending a bottom entry inlet valve to replave a side entry one. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back