Sludge!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know what causes black sludge? I know brown sludge is cause by air entering the system but what about black sludge?

Sponsored Links
Ever seen a demonstration magna clean?

There's a clue :idea:

yea i've seen one, i own one! i'm not sure how it explains the difference between brown and black sludge....?

It's iron oxide, caused by steel radiators and similar corroding inside the heating system. Air being a main contributing factor again.

Ever remember doing the test in school where you put a nail in water, air, and air and water, the nail in air and water rusted the quickest?

HTH Sam :)

Sponsored Links
black sludge is made by not cleaning and flushing a system properly.
over time the sediment that was left in the system mixes with new that is the main reason
the other being different metals on the one system

Both are forms of rust. Ferrous oxide (FeO) is black, ferric oxide (Fe2O3)is red.

You may also find a third form, magnetite (Fe3O4) is present.

i have just read that fe0 thermodynamically unstable and is fda approved and used as a pigment in tattoo inks... go figure!

haven't seen any exploding slag tags for a while :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back