Small Toilet Nightmare!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay we have a downstairs toilet the size of a rabbit hutch with all the pipes showing for the toilet and the mains water also radiator..

many years ago we had a mild damp problem in there and was told to paint the walls with gloss paint.. this room is horrible and needs some work doing on it.

Can anyone suggest what i could do with this room, colours anything?

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't need to paint the walls with gloss paint. Find out what caused the damp and deal with it. You have a rad and a window so you should be able to stop condensation, but I don't see how you would suffer from condensation in a room with dry heating that is not occupied for very long. So, IMHO, gloss paint is irrelevant and not the answer. It will look awful anyway

Replace the toilet seat for a white one. Paint the walls (and all the copper pipes in the same colour to hide them) in a light neutral colour to compliment the floor. Paint all wooden surfaces with quality white gloss. If the roller blind has a simple pattern on it, leave it if the background colour matches the walls. Otherwise replace it with another one with a simple pattern that compliments the walls. Place a small vase with dried flowers etc, on the window cill. Paint the ceiling with white matt emulsion using a dimple roller to give it some character. Replace the light fitting with a ceiling mounted white half-globe shape. Remember it is only a toilet, with limited options for decorating, but these few tips will make it light and airy with a contemporary style.

Many thanks for the help with this nightmare..

the only question is at the moment i have white gloss walls because the radiator was not working properly causing the damp/condensation in the room. how do i go about sorting the gloss walls out as its not a very good job it was done then papered over and because of the gloss the paper didnt hold so just fell off :cry: .

i was going to just sand the walls down but dont know how big of a job it will be as we didnt go easy on the paint as it was to be hidden.

also the problem with the pipework is that because it is a cold room and we dont have a combi boiler (heating only on when we cold lol) the room does get cold so the pipes just change colour from white to grey/black.

any further suggestions are more than welcome and again thanks for the help so far.

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back