Smart Letterbox Flap (Letter Plate) on Metal front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently repainted my front door and wanted to replace the cheap nasty looking letterbox with a smarter one, I replaced or polished other door furniture and the latterbox flap really lets it down. The current opening in the (metal) front door fits a plastic liner part of the current letterbox, and it's quite wide but not tall.
I bought a nice smart, chunky chrome letter plate, which is wide enough, 12" but 4" tall, and to fit it I'd need to cut the letterbox slot open wider.
I'm understandably nervous about doing this, knowing how expensive metal front doors are!

I cannot find a smart looking letterbox flap for a metal door, or with the dimensions 12x3" that would save me from cutting the opening larger to fit it!

Has anyone done this? The one issue I can see if there would be no internal liner, so the foam centre of the door would be visible and likely start to flake apart over time.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The hole is to fit one 12x3 (280mmx75mm approx I guess) and there are plenty like that available, in cheap plastic and thin ali finishes. But all the heavyweight, nice chunky chrome looking ones are either 250x75mm (the right height but too narrow) or about 290x100 (The right width but too tall)
This is the best I've found that could fit:

But I'd really like to fit one like this:

The listings for most actually say 'for wooden doors' but apart from countersinking the bolt heads and lining the inside of the opening with something I can't see why a nice one wouldn't fit

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back