Smell from waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, both our washing machine and dishwasher feed into the same waste pipe, which after either has been on, absolutely stinks. I have previously got behind the appliances and taken the waste pipe apart where I can and cleaned it out, but this still happens, the rest of the waste pipe I cannot get to as it goes behind the kitchen sink units so unless I get all the worktops off etc I can't get to it. Any advice what I can do? Is there any sort of liquid/cleaner that I can flush through it at all?
Thanks in advance,
Tony

Sponsored Links
Have you checked that water is being left in the trap after the washing machine finishes its job ?.

Possibly syphonage is losing your seal.

Alan.

Thanks Alan but sorry to appear dumb I'm not quite sure what you are saying, can you say it more in laymans terms! Thanks.

my washing machine is attached to the sink waste via a stub...not the usual stack..
i get smells from the machine hose since it is not trapped
i do a 90 degree temp wash and it usually shifts it

or a cup of dettol on rise and spin low load reduced water use

unfortunately this wont work with dishwasher..but i suspect the smell could be just the washing machine...

i eventually will adapt mine to a stack drain then the smells if any can stay in the stack behind the sink...

cheers

Sponsored Links
tonysab said:
Thanks Alan but sorry to appear dumb I'm not quite sure what you are saying, can you say it more in laymans terms! Thanks.

The whole point of a TRAP is too stop the ingress of foul air, If your trap is losing its water then smells will enter your home.

Can you post a picture of your waste pipework ?.

Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back