Smelly sink

My girlfriend also complained that her kitchen sink ponged when draining, and after the usual bleach applications, along with copious amounts of hot water I took off the flexible overflow (the sort of ribbed pipe). I found that in all the "ribs" there was a build up of all sorts of gunge - I replaced the pipe with a smooth one and we have had no problems since.

Sponsored Links
I had this problem once and cured it easily by using a caustic soda solution, which I believe dissolves all the crud in the u-bend.

You could try taking the sink plug hole apart. These days these seem to be pressed stainless steel with a separate black plastic piece. Waste down the sink can get stuck in the gap between the plastic and steel.

IMO these are crap design and the old chromed brass ones were better as they had no hidden nooks for food to lodge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back