Smelly Smells

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I recently laid laminate floor in my downstairs toilet. To do this I had to remove the toilet and the wash basin. Since I completed, there is a distinct ‘sewerage’ smell coming from the room. I have checked the toilet and I am happy that this is sealed correctly, I am more concerned about the sink.

The house is only a few years old. The waste pipe from the basin just drops into the waste pipe through a small hole in the floor. Should there be some sort of seal around the pipe when it drops through the floor to stop the smell coming into the room?

Any advice/tips would be very much appreciated. :D

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The waste pipe just drops through the floor, it doesnt fasten into the pipe (in the ground) at all, it just drops through a whole in the floor (which is like a plastic plate). There is no seal between the pipe and the plate so I assume unwanted odours are getting in from there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back