smoke detectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've added a 60m2 extension to my house (kitchen and lounge) Am I required to fit mains powered smoke detectors to satisfy building regs? Can anyone enlighten me please?
Thanks in anticipation,
Calvert

Sponsored Links
calvert said:
I've added a 60m2 extension to my house (kitchen and lounge) Am I required to fit mains powered smoke detectors to satisfy building regs? Can anyone enlighten me please?
Thanks in anticipation,
Calvert

why not ask your local bco?

suppose i gave a y/n answer and i am wrong

No, only required in new and refurbished dwellings. IEE OSG 7.4.1
Jaymack

i disagree, the osg is for wiring, the local bco may insist he have them, hence ask bco

Sponsored Links
For an extension of that size and purpose building regulation consent is required. So the whole project must be subject to building control and the inspecting officer is the one to turn to for guidance.

Or maybe calvert forgot to notify the job?

dingbat said:
For an extension of that size and purpose building regulation consent is required. So the whole project must be subject to building control and the inspecting officer is the one to turn to for guidance.

Or maybe calvert forgot to notify the job?

Not required for your extension, would have been required for a loft extension but then yours is not in the air.
Jaymack

like i said, difference of opinion, so ask the bco, then let us know what they require

Jaymack said:
Not required for your extension, would have been required for a loft extension but then yours is not in the air.
Jaymack

1) You are confusing planning permission and Building Control notification.

Even if an extension doesn't need planning permission (more on which later) it sure as hell needs Building Regs approval, so if he didn't notify then he is in trouble.

2) 60m², assume best case single storey, say 3m high (remember it's external dimensions that count) = 180m³.

There are all sorts of triggers for needing planning permission, but one hard and fast one he cannot get round is a volume threshold of 115m³.

So if he didn't get planning permission, then he is in a lot of trouble...

Jaymack, an extension such as calvert describes absolutely does require building regulations approval.

If such approval has been sought then the construction process will have been inspected and the need (or otherwise) for smoke alarms should have been advised by the building inspector/s.

Edit: I was typing while bas was posting - dang!

dingbat said:
Jaymack, an extension such as calvert describes absolutely does require building regulations approval.

Not in dispute.

If such approval has been sought then the construction process will have been inspected and the need (or otherwise) for smoke alarms should have been advised by the building inspector/s.

Accent on the should, The originator should keep us posted on the outcome.

Edit: I was typing while bas was posting - dang!

Many thanks for the replies, chaps. Yes I have got planning permission and a bco who is very decent. I just wanted to save hassling him with the question.
Calvert

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back