Smoke Ventilation requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone

I have 2 separate landings and 2 separate staircases in a building consisting of 3 flats. Their are 3 storeys in total for the building.

What are the requirements to ventilate the communal areas in case of a fire?

I have seen a Velux 1m2 smoke ventilation system which is basiclly a window that opens automatically.

Also are fire alarm call points required in communal areas?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Normal requirement is to ventilate the stairwell at high level with openable vents of minimum 1m². The Velux smoke vent is the standard kit. However, this is all negotiable and with two separate escape routes for three flats on three storeys you would have a good chance of getting building control to agree to omit them. Worth a try.

You do need call points. They are normally located on each landing and at the final exit/s

Thanks for your reply

Sorry after reading my post I realise my description was misleading.

I have 1 set of stairs that takes you from the ground floor to the 1st floor, then there is a landing at the end of the staircase, you turn on your self and follow the landing around where you find another staircase that takes you from the 1st floor to the second floor. So essentially there is only 1 exit and entrance to the building via this divided single stairwell.

Would I require just 1m2 of openable vents at the top of the 2nd stair case? Would mechanical extraction be acceptable?

I have seen the Velux sky light that opens automatically via an integrated sensor, would it have to be automated or could a manually opening sky light of 1m2 be used?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back