Smoking Peugeot 207

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I was hoping somebody might be able to give me a bit of advice before the inevitable trip to a mechanic!

I have a Peugeot 207 1.4 2009 (I know one the worst cars ever made) about 68,000 miles.

On Friday night when I went to come home from work and started it up both the headlights had failed, had to call GreenFlag as I didn't have spares and there was no one locally I could call on.

Unsure whether it's related but when i pulled up at a junction near home (about 40 miles and 1 hour later) I noticed quite a bit of steam/smoke coming from under the bonnet. I thought it might have been from the car in front as it was below zero so continued home. When I switched off the engine a cloud of steam/smoke came from under the bonnet and continued for a few minutes. It was light in colour but certainly had a sort of burning smell, I think it's steam but could be smoke, sounds strange but I can't really tell.

Have just turned the engine over with the bonnet up and after about 10 minutes steam/smoke started puffing ,getting gradually worse and then again when I switched off the engine more of a burst. The engine coolant was low, but not empty so I don't think it's a leak. Only thing I can think of is head gasket but I don't really know what I'm talking about.

In the picture below, it is coming from one of the pipes to the right of the blue block - possibly the large one at the bottom running left to right in the picture?

I'm planning to try and take it to a local garage tomorrow but would appreciate any help in a vague diagnosis that might help me explain the problem and prepare myself for the cost! (probably the cost of a new car).

Any help gratefully received,

Many thanks

Tom.

IMG_4328.JPG

Sponsored Links
It's a bit difficult for me to see that one but I'd suspect the plastic thermostat housing has cracked, and coolant is spraying out. Whatever you do, top the coolant up before starting the car up again.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back