Snow chains?

Oh, and luckily it's only a 3.5 mile walk home for me in snow, and is made all the better by the fact it is up and down hills. You can watch people struggling up and down in their cars, and last time I saw a Transit stuck halfway up! No matter what he did, couldn't get the damn thing moving. No-one could pass him as they couldn't get enough traction to overtake him before cars coming the other way would get there, and I didn't see another car come down that road from that direction before getting home (another 2 miles further on)

Just grab a travel-mug of coffee, put on a warm coat, and take in the winter scenery. Great stuff. :D

Sponsored Links
Get a Landcruiser. Had to laugh last year, or was it the year before. A smattering of snow had ground nearly everyone to a halt. The road to my village is dominated by a adverse cambered s bend that has the audacity to have the first part of the S bend going down and the second part going up (reasonably steeply as well). What a laugh, the more expensive your car, the less chance you had.

Landcruiser, diff lock on Traction control on, ABS off ..... F off Goodbye. Oh and a tenner a tow. Could have made a fortune but I preferred to leave them all in a potential 40K plus steel coffin. I know I'm evil, but I'll explain later.

:p :p :p

Bad day at work, not aimed at anyone on the forum :LOL: :LOL: but really, get a cruiser, superb. Oh and if I get the opportunity to drag a nice 7 series BMW out of 1.5 inches of snow this year, I shall simply use the toe rags excuse of supply and demand, £1000.00 a tow, if you can get it cheaper in the time then fine otherwise pay up. Each complaint adds a 10% administration fee. (commonly known as talking)

Oh, and It'll be dragged very roughly. :evil: :evil:

Wow, that was a bad day at work, sorry, got to go now, need to oil the AK47.

Sponsored Links
Ah, in the daze of youth .... when we had some snow in these southern parts .... the sort of depth which left the Landrover resting on it's belly with wheels hanging impotently from the suspension.
Massey Harris ... dif lok on, front wheels in the air, rear 'box' holding coupla bales of hay hydrauliced down onto snow for stability, go f'kin anywhere, pull anything out of the drifts, and if it did not all want to come out, then half the bodywork could be torn off !!

BTW BMW's for all the traction control have the rear wheel drive, I have followed a few in me old Nissan, they were all over the place .... not too happy when overtaken by the shopping trolley on the merest semblance of a hill.
P

Eddie M said:
Wow, that was a bad day at work, sorry, got to go now, need to oil the AK47.

I hope you don't work in a Post Office ;) (sorry, a bit distasteful)

RWD are improved in snow if you chuck a few bags of spuds in the boot, but I guess people don't think of that. With FWD you have the weight of the engine giving you some traction.

I wonder how the old man's MGTF will handle when it snows? Mid engined+rear-wheel drive, should be alright. Don't think I will be offering to test that theory though, not insured to drive other cars :eek:

BTW BMW's for all the traction control have the rear wheel drive.

Oh and if I get the opportunity to drag a nice 7 series BMW out of 1.5 inches of snow this year...

Whilst the RWD motor is at a disadvantage over FWD in snow it is also likely that BMW's will have wider tyres than most other vehicles and that will make things fundamentally worse.

Also, Eddie, don't exclude the likelihood of having to pull any X5's out of trouble. I saw quite a few of these sliding around in St Anton last winter all notably with the following: low profile tyres; extra wide (brushed alloy) wheels; and er oh yes...British registrations!

Characteristic by it's absence of a low-transfer box would it be unreasonable to conclude the following:

X5: The best 4 by 4 f*ck-up by far!

chainsaw_masochist said:
Eddie, don't exclude the likelihood of having to pull any X5's out of trouble. I saw quite a few of these sliding around in St Anton last winter all notably with the following: low profile tyres; extra wide (brushed alloy) wheels; and er oh yes...British registrations!

Characteristic by it's absence of a low-transfer box would it be unreasonable to conclude the following:

X5: The best 4 by 4 f*ck-up by far!

I look forward to it with relish ! :evil:

Where we live, people affording such extravagance do not need to drive in the snow, that is left to their minions.
P

Sponsored Links
Back