So whose wrong

mkb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I have a full bedroom to paint which has been newly skimmed. I know I have to 'mist' coat it first....or so I thought. I went into our local Johnstones today and the guy behind the counter showed me some Johnstones Premium Contract Matt. so i said ' I mist coat it first, watered down a couple of times then the final coat ? So three coats altogether '
Now he says 'No' Use this stuff 'neat' from the tub ( maybe watered 5-10% for flow ) it's specifically for new plaster so only one coat and one top coat. he says it's the same with Leyland Super Leytex...no need to mist coat first. So what do the experts think or do ?

Sponsored Links
He's wrong :rolleyes: . This is one of the, supposedly, “breathable” trade paints allowing high moisture content new plaster (but not wet) to continue to dry out through the paint. You must still apply a thinned mist coat to new, unsealed plaster or it will suck all the moisture out of the paint before it has any chance to stick to the plaster; result your paint will have a very marginal adherence to the wall :cry: .

Here’s Johnstone’s spec sheet, print it off & enjoy the look on his face when he reads it :LOL:

http://www.johnstonestrade.com/PaintSpecifier/PDF/productDatasheets/Jonmat Premium Contract Matt.pdf

Richard..thanks for quick reply..the sheet gives me the ammunition for when I challenge his advice tomorrow. Cheers.

B&Q sell an emulsion that's "supposed" to go straight onto new plaster too,, it says it on the container,,,, Mmmmm :rolleyes: I haven't used it, but i wonder if it works :confused:

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
If he had said it was the same as super leytex then I would have been put off straight away

Zampa..not impressed with super leytex then ? What about Mcphersons eclipse for new plaster ?

there is one advantage to not doing a mist coat :LOL: :LOL:
when your bored with the colour just peel it off :LOL: :LOL:

had a wall in my last house that i peeled 12ft x 8ft in 55mins due to being painted on fresh plaster.

:LOL:

Eclipse is ok..if you beleive the sales reps its the same formulation as Brolac superflat..which IMO was the best contract emulsion there was..load of old sales rubbish..it isnt the same and they really shot themselves in the foot when they got rid of it.

Id go for dulux supermatt or crown covermatt before Eclipse

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back