Soak-away query?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When building a soak away at the front of a building, i.e. a frontage that is accessed from the road/street/carriageway/public highway, what is the minimum distance the soak-away needs to be from the road?

Also, does the measurement apply to the footpath?

The reason i ask is, a b.c.o. once reminded me that i was close to the bone when installing a rear elevation soak-away at a corner plot property.

Can't remember the distance though.

Probably 6m....?

I have looked at an old post of mine and i said 6m. Can anyone confirm?

Sponsored Links
5m Nose its the same as a building ;) AD part H /3
Dont think footpath comes into it, measure from road.
Yep H/3 para 3.25a just checked.

I don't think there is a minimum distance per se I think it depends on the local ground conditions. The soakaway bible http://www.forestofdeanpartnership....roved documents/BRE_Soakaway_Design_Guide.pdf mentions something like that too. I know that form housing schemes road soakaways can be located in the verge but I guess they're likely to have engineering input.

That didn't really answer your question did it. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys!

I have been wondering how folks are getting around having to install soakaways in frontages when installing impervious paving, tarmac etc.

A lot of properties can not accommodate a soakaway that is both 5m from the building AND be 5m from the road.

Just to clarify - Is the soakaway for surface water or foul water?
If it is for surface it is 5 metres, if for foul then it is 15 metres from a building, 2 metres from a boundary.

You can download the relevant Building Regs from a
sewage treatment website. Click on Useful Links and then on Sewage Treatment Section H2 Building Regs which also incorporates H3.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back