Socket on ring circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping to create a new socket in my internal garage by creating a spur from the existing socket which has existed since day 1 of my 2014 property. I've been following my trusty 2006 DK DIY book and it suggests that i must first check if the socket is on a ring main circuit or is the intermediate outlet on a two outlet spur.

The existing socket is part of the downstairs circuit breaker which I can isolate along with the other downstairs sockets. The socket has 2 cables in it and as i don't have any technical equipment, the book suggests that I test the circuit type by disconnecting the 2 live cores, separate them and then checking the other downstairs sockets. The book says that if the socket is on the main circuit all other downstairs sockets should be dead. When I do this though, all other downstairs sockets continue to work. Is the book right, should I be concerned and can I still run a spur from this socket?

Sponsored Links
Maybe I've misunderstood the book, but here it is
PXL_20221008_221708415.jpg

Chuck the book away ,the above is very wrong.
To establish what the cables are requires testing with a suitable test instrument .

Sponsored Links
As @securespark says, we have radial finals, ring finals, and spurs, a fused spur is really a radial final but you can't in English have a final final so called a fused spur, with ring finals we always have a 30 or 32 amp overload (fuse or MCB) but with a radial it could be any size from 16 amp to 32 amp, and could be 2.5 mm² or 4 mm² or 6 mm² with a ring final the cable must be able to take 20 amp, so in the main 2.5 mm² is used, it was 7/0.029 which was slightly thicker, and with mineral cable it can be smaller but unlikely to find mineral in a domestic.

As an electrician I would test if a ring or not when the circuit is dead, the two line conductors will show connected together using a multi-meter. I prefer a meter like these 1665305697771.png as since amps is not measured with leads, you can't make the potentially fatal mistake of leaving on amps when trying to measure volts and causing ionisation of the atmosphere. But since your testing dead no chance of that anyway.

But only the UK and ex colonies use ring finals, so only UK books will explain how to work out if the socket is on a ring final, radial final, or spur.

I presume a drawing is provided on the opposite leaf (which is out of frame in his image) of the two-page spread and is located at the bottom of the page

I presume a drawing is provided on the opposite leaf (which is out of frame in his image) of the two-page spread and is located at the bottom of the page
That's exactly what I assumed is the case too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back