Sockets in the gas meter cupboard

gjh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've installed a security light and mains powered doorbell. Both of these items are obviously near the front door and the cables fall quite conveniently near the gas meter cupboard where I also have access to the downstairs main ring. I intend to connect the light and doorbell to the ring via two 3A switched FCU's in the gas meter cupboard.

Is there any regs regarding having electrical connections (and the 240v to 8v transformer for the doorbell) so close to the gas meter (only 15-20cm's away!).

Sponsored Links
You cannot put a socket in a cupboard specifically for the Gas meter.

No argument.

Oh well, good job I asked then.

Its a bit of a pain as now I have to have two more switches in the hallway which I was hoping to hide in the cupboard.

Sponsored Links
it depends on what you call "cupboard for gas meter" i suppose.

if you have one of those "insection cupboards" then no you cant, but if its the cupboard under the stairs then yes you can.

FWL did say "specifically for the Gas meter" which a cupboard under the stairs isn't

not that i am suggestiong if you have a gas meter in a cupboard you put some sockets in it just because you can

The only rule us corgis have is about distances. Gas - cable min 25mm ( 50 is suggested as standard), gas - socket or other fitting 150mm.

There are plenty of houses where the gas meter and electrcity meter and consumer unit share the same cupboard with no problems, I do not know of any reg prohibiting this

crystal ball said:
There are plenty of houses where the gas meter and electrcity meter and consumer unit share the same cupboard with no problems, I do not know of any reg prohibiting this

The problem is the definition of cupboard and what it's designated use is to be.

If a cupboard is under the stairs in a domestic premises, then that cupboard will have a definition of STORAGE SPACE not Meter cupboard. This cuboard will have normal ventilation and the build up of gas is unlikely if a leak should occur.

However, if a cupboard has been constructed specifically for housing a gas meter, then any electrical appliances or equipment installed must meet the relevent BS's for installation in such controlled areas.

This is not in BS7671, this is in the Electricity Supply Regulations Act and the Gas Service Regulations Act.

Generally the regulations are aimed at commercial and industrial installations, but they do not actually discriminate any of the installation types.

If the cupboard outside with a gas metter in had a socket installed, I think BG and Transco would be mortified.

Specifically where in the Electricity supply act is this statement, the premises I have in mind have a cupboard purpose built for gas and electricity meters in the hall, if I carry out any work there again I may have to inform the customer of this problem

CB..this cupboard has Electricity and Gas METERS in it..does it have the Distribution board in it as well?

Gas meter, electric meter, cut out, consumer unit, all in one small cupboard, not just one house either, probably over 100 on one estate

crystal ball said:
Gas meter, electric meter, cut out, consumer unit, all in one small cupboard, not just one house either, probably over 100 on one estate

See, they introduce Part P, and yet designers get away with this shiite..

Still, my personal feeling is that this is not dangerous and of little consequence. As I said in my earlier post, I think the rules were put in place for commercial and Industrial installations so they tend to ignore these situation in domestics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back