Sockets on skirting boards

Sponsored Links
As has been suggested, wouldn't 180 degrees be more appropriate ('as an interim measure')? - and that would work even with 2-lug back-boxes.

Kind Regards, John

Holes in the upper surface encourage dirt (and sometimes liquid) to fall in.

what are the regulations regarding Sockets on skirting boards.

Just bought a new house and all the sockets are cut into the skirting boards and that low you can not plug anything with a moulded plug into it.

Had an electrician around to have a look he told me all the cabling is fine and the fuse board is RCD split load what ever that means but he said the sockets are unsafe because there mounted on the skirting and it is against regulations.

What should I do and Is this true
did he suck-in through his teeth and suggest it would cost a lot of money to fix?

It is true that anybody who uses a vacuum cleaner will smash skirting sockets.

Brooms and mops, not so often.

In the 1920's it was done quite often.

Sponsored Links
Holes in the upper surface encourage dirt (and sometimes liquid) to fall in.
Do I take it that you are referring to 'holes' in the upper surface (when inverted) of the plug (i.e. around the cable entry)? If so, I suppose that is a consideration in the case of re-wire-able plugs, but presumably not 'moulded' ones?

For what it's worth, I still have quite a few sockets on skirting boards but, since "they don't make skirting boards like wot they used to" there is no problem with their being orientated conventionally, since most of the skirtings are 10" - 12" tall.

Kind Regards, John

It is true that anybody who uses a vacuum cleaner will smash skirting sockets.
I'm sure it's possible, maybe even common - but, for what it's worth, it hasn't happened here during the past 35 or so years, despite the occasional use of vacuum cleaners :)
In the 1920's it was done quite often.
Indeed. I suspect that's when sockets were originally installed in my house, so when they were 'upgraded' to BS1363 ones,they simply stuck to the same locations (not the least because of convenience regarding cable routing etc.

Kind Regards, John

In the short term you could plug a 4 way extension in and use that for your moulded plugs. And I have seen the face plates mounted up-side down to get over the same problem :eek: (I don't recommend that as the cable can pull the plug out bearing the live & neutral pins)

A compliant plug has insulated sections on the live and neutral pins. It should not be possible to touch the metal bits.

Cutting new socket boxes into the wall will be fairly dirty and the plaster will need to be patched and redecorated. The cables will have to be extended with a permanent joint; a ratchet crimper is the usual tool. Cheap DIY methods are unsuitable.

I was under the impression that ratchet crimping solid cables is a no-no.

What is wrong with using Wagos?

A compliant plug has insulated sections on the live and neutral pins. It should not be possible to touch the metal bits.
Depends which edition of BS1363 it is compliant with.

There are specific crimp connectors for solid wires, e.g. Klauke SV1525.

A quick and dirty solution would be fitting a 15 mm pattress box with blanking plate in place of the existing socket and extend the cables in that.

There are specific crimp connectors for solid wires, e.g. Klauke SV1525.

They look quite thick. What's special about them?

I can see them in Germany, but I can't see UK suppliers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back