Sofa cushions - help needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am having substantial problems with my sofa cushions and am wondering what I should do. This is the first couch I have owned. I have owned it for 5 years now and it is in dire need of repair.

The 3 rear cushions (the ones that sit behind me, supporting my back) are made of down. Each is collapsing and sagging in the middle. Additionally, they no longer seem to be as tall as they once were, so the 2 end pieces rotate up from the middle of the couch to the armrests (in other words, the cushions form somewhat like a flat U-shape).

I have tried unzipping the cover, taking out the cushion, and fluffing it. I have also put it in the dryer and ran it with tennis balls (on no heat). But this does not seem to have worked.

Is it normal that a down cushion would do this after 5 years? Is this something that can be fixed, or do I need to replace it?

The 3 bottom/seat cushions also have collapsed a bit. In particular, the front edge of each piece no longer provides any cushion against the front edge of the sofa. It seems like the seat cushions are sitting further down in the sofa, on top of the hide-a-bed, than I remember. So when one sits on the couch, one's legs (around the knee) rest on and over the front edge of the couch, rather than cushion.

I have gotten a piece of foam to go on top of their filling and it seems to have helped this problem a bit. Is this the right course of action? Would this be the recommended way to proceed?

I can upload images tonight if it would help make the problems I have more clear. Thank you in advance for any suggestions you have!

Sponsored Links
Hi Dave, best would be to find a local upholsterer in your white pages and go along for a chat with him.

Sponsored Links
Is the cushion the problem or is it the supports underneath sagging?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back