solar DHW system - is soft soldering okay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, back again...

I have had some work undertaken by a plumber (well recommended) and cut a long story short I have all sorts of issues post his visit.

one area of concern is that he has redesigned my DHW solar system. now the pipework he has installed is copper, and soft soldered. everything I read says 'no way!', hard solder/braze copper or use compression or flexible SS. my plumber says my old solar system was soft soldered and anyway soft soldering is good for 500 degrees so no issue.

what do I do? Who do i believe? what should I have?

cheers,

Mark F

Sponsored Links
None of the pipe work that will carry the water from the panels etc should be soldered.

You are correct in your assumptions.

Is he registered/trained to work on solar in it's own right?

Never done solar,but can it really get hot enough to melt solder?

Worst case it could turn to super heated steam, especially if on a pressurised system.

Sponsored Links
strictly speaking you can used unleaded solder BUT its not recommended and the insulation has to be special high temperature type,there is special stainless steel pipe which we use all the time its just not worth taking the risk with the high temperatures involved with solder and the cost of the insulation added to the price you may as well have bought the pipe made for the job

Yes I am BPEC qualified to do solar as well as having G3 qualifications and we have done numerous installs

We install solar systems every week and have done since 2006(been unable to the last couple weeks). We often use lead free solder once away from the collector as did a now newly retired solar installer that lives locally who spent 27 years using "solder" on Phillips and Thermomax systems. I've have yet to see a failed soldered joint even on a system that been repeatedly stagnating @200c + for several weeks prior to us be called to it. I also have a system under pressure but with the circulating pump disconnected with the pipework soldered to with a meter of the collector it has yet to pop a joint.

A friend failed his MCS assessment for using school board clips on a combustible surface that in itself speaks volumes about the Dickheads running the scheme and why "solder" is frowned on. The BPEC & Logic courses are run along these lines turning out installers that are terrified of the systems they will be working on, still it keeps the non jobs in wages :rolleyes:

We use the readymade stainless steel pipe fitted inside insulation cuz it makes our job easier comes in 25m lengths so no messing about jointing etc

ITs not about fear of system ,its finding the best and quickest way of doing job

You carry on doing it your way,but in this society where everyone wants to sue you for breathing we dont want to take any chances ,and stick with the tried n tested system we are use to

agree with happyp, stainless trac pipe, quickest and easiest, less joints to worry about.

stick with the tried n tested system we are use to

I'm with you on that one 27 years seems to be a long enough test to me.
You can buy K-Flex copper twin line solar pipe with 14mm or 19mm insulation. If your likely to be sued for a soldered joint leaking would that not apply to a fibre washer on a flexi pipe joint letting go(we've had a few) or do you use teflon washers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back