Solar inverter on dual RCD board

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a modern (steel) dual RCD board. My solar inverter is on a dedicated circuit with a B20 MCB on one of the two RCD segments.

Am I right in thinking this is bad practice as it means the RCD tripping won't prevent current flow to the circuits fed by that RCD for the three second permitted shutdown time?

How important is it to resolve and what's the simplest way? I could move the solar circuit to before the first RCD but then it won't be on the busbar segments so I'll need some chunky tails to join to the first RCD. Do you use 25mm or is there something specific?

I have a third neutral bar in the CU.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi

I have a modern (steel) dual RCD board. My solar inverter is on a dedicated circuit with a B20 MCB on one of the two RCD segments.

Am I right in thinking this is bad practice as it means the RCD tripping won't prevent current flow to the circuits fed by that RCD for the three second permitted shutdown time?

How important is it to resolve and what's the simplest way? I could move the solar circuit to before the first RCD but then it won't be on the busbar segments so I'll need some chunky tails to join to the first RCD. Do you use 25mm or is there something specific?

I have a third neutral bar in the CU.

Thanks
It's not just bad practice - it's prohibited.

Interesting, I have just posted about using an RCD and it has been pointed out they in the main are directional due to the electronics, so the solar inverter must feed the correct side of the RCD.

Sponsored Links
Interesting, I have just posted about using an RCD and it has been pointed out they in the main are directional due to the electronics, so the solar inverter must feed the correct side of the RCD.

not sure I agree with “correct side” statement

If you can find a reg then I can call back the company (y)

Any advice on moving the MCB to the non load side as above?

If you can find a reg then I can call back the company (y)

Any advice on moving the MCB to the non load side as above?

If the pv is on a shared RCD , that side of the board will be unable to comply with the necessary disconnection times

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back