Soldering copper pipes

LLA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just soldered some joints on a radiator's pipework. One straight connector 8mm and one 15-8mm converter from the rad end. 2 of the joints looks lovely clean solder all around(used a mirror to check).

The one joint looks like is has solder all around but I did not do it perfectly, there are "blobs" of solder around the joint. There does seem to be solder all the way around. Just worried if my blobby solder is a "defect/bad joint". When I soldered that joint the solder kept breaking into small chunks when I held it to the joint/flame. Eventually it went soft and sucked in around.

Repressurised the system. No leaks. Switched heating on, all the joints seem to be sound.

Would my joint be concidered strong enough but just not smootly finished or is a potential risk?

Sponsored Links
They are called 'tear drops' in my neck of the woods. Excess solder and nothing else.

As a DIYer I guess your enclined to be extra cautious!

Dave

Sponsored Links
it must be very posh in Bedfordshire to have tear drops in Scotland we have snotters, oops let ourselves down again, sorry mum!! unless of course nobody else knows what snotters are

I am not a diy-er but have rather a little drop, or a big one for that matter, then not enough. My clients tend to need shock treatment when they hear the language if I find a joint not holding. Must be nearly 40 years since I learned, but am still not infallible. which is about the only thing my ex agrees on.

Bengas i always prepare my customers for the bad language with a long drawn out aaaaaaaaah fooooooooor f##k sake get the hose, Gives them time to get out of ear shot. :LOL:

They are called 'tear drops' in my neck of the woods. Excess solder and nothing else.

Dave

In welding we call it grapes and soldering called grapes also

I am not a diy-er but have rather a little drop, or a big one for that matter, then not enough. My clients tend to need shock treatment when they hear the language if I find a joint not holding. Must be nearly 40 years since I learned, but am still not infallible. which is about the only thing my ex agrees on.

After 40 years and doing over 6,000 joints on one job I must say thankfully having a leaker only happened three times in my career and always because I failed to clean the joints properly.

Brazing is another story

Failing to wipe a joint clean will not make it leak!

Lead-free solder doesn't wipe clean as easily as leaded, though.
I have a dentists mirror I use sometimes. If you do get a leak, it'll be the ones you can't see or get access to properly.

If your solder's melting and dropping it's too near the flame. Apply to the joint on the other side from the flame, and it should run round towards it.
If everything's clean and fluxed, overheating is your enemy. It can be caused by using too much flux, or soldering a bunch of joints from the lowest to the highest. The top ones will overheat and burn the flux off before you get there. SO start at the highest and work down.

Dave

Hi Dave, I noticed that when "tear drops" happen the solder has a lower tin content.

For example on older heating applications they used to use 50% tin - 50% lead solder and some would use 40% 60 or 60 -40 and then other used a silver content alloy

The 95% tin 5% antimoney is harder to work with and the tensile strenth is 16,000 PSI but because of the very high tin content it drips rather then making tear drops.

Brazing is a whole other story.

The alloy makes a world of difference if the joint has to be wiped of not and ease of application

And so is bronze welding!

Actually when working with Bronze (alloy) it is not considered WELDING as steel to steel is welding Using similar metals is considered welding as I weld steel and Aluminum. and Steel can be brazed with a bronze rod or welded using mild steel rods.

Bronze having two metals copper / tin or copper / nickel thus alloys are brazed / soldered

I used to be a welding instructor as part of being a master plumber is being able to train apprentices and journeymen....

Just like to get the correct terms out there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back