Solid fuel CH

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I have bought a house in Hungary and will be putting in a solid fuel central heating system using a secondhand Austrian made AGA type cooker with boiler. I do not wish at this stage to also provide domestic hot water from the setup, just rads. As a safeguard against power cuts or pump failure I would like some element of gravity circulation as a safety heat sink. The property is single storey but has tall ceilings and a large loft space. I'm thinking I might need one or two radiators mounted high up so they are above the boiler. The circuits I have seen show four connections to the boiler but they incorporate indirect cylinders with the feed / vent connections on the hot water side. I understand that the positioning of the pump is critical to avoid:
a) Air drawn in from vent pipe
b) Air drawn in from radiator valves
c) Water drawn in from feed tank

One book mentions a maximum of 150mm horizontal distance between the vent pipe outlet and the feed pipe inlet. Does this relate to the positions of the connections on the boiler itself? On the boiler there are four large connections plus a smaller one and a pressure relief valve. Two of these large connections were clearly blanked off in the boilers previous installation and I am hoping I will only need two for my system. I intend to do the feed and vent pipes in 28mm copper but the radiator circuit will be 15mm plastic barrier pipe. Any advice / tips much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
My apologies, I thought it had failed to go so I pressed submit again but then I could not see how to delete the duplicate post. :oops:

OK, I will do the easy bits like fitting the radiators then check for replies on here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back