Solid Wall Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to insulate the solid wall in my bedroom, the pink curtains are temps, here are the details about the wall;

View media item 85152
View media item 85153
Solid Brick (9"), Cement render on external, well pointed with sand/ cement on internal side, uneven to very uneven in parts especially around the window where the old stone cill shows. the wall has been painted at some point with masonry paint and suspected efflorescence shows on the wall as soon as summer ends. Wall is dry but cold mainly at the bottom corners where beads of water form (condensation) no problems with the wall in summer and no mould/ damp when the old wooden window trim was removed, so this leads me to insulating...

I was going to build a 3x2 stud wall fill the gaps with insulation board, vapour control layer and plasterboard, I realise the timber would be a thermal bridge but it would be better than what is there now. The issue I have with this is; even with a vapour control layer moist air can still enter from downstairs etc, and there would be cavity's all over the place in between the insulation and wall. I could stand it all off but then it would need venting etc.

If I was to render/ plaster the wall to an even finish, say with multi coat or lime cement render, then friction fit foil faced insulation boards, tape to seal, strap or batten over the top say 600 centers fixed straight through to the wall, creating a service void and then plaster board over the battens, skim.
Would this be a better solution, I personally think it would, what do you guys think.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back