Solid wood floating floor or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Firstly I'd like to say thanks in advance to those who may chose to respond to my queries and offer their advice.

We have a solid wooden floor -

18mm thick, 83mm wide, varying lengths of solid Oak with tongue and grove and floating clips system - http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Medina-Oak-Solid-Wood-Flooring/p/138980

and were hoping to float it over the already in place 8mm laminate but from what I have read I am now a little concerned that it may creak underfoot.

My question is, if we wanted to fix it avoid the potential creak that may occur with the float and clip system would it be ok to nail to the 8mm MDF laminate that's already in place as a replacement to the ply layer that you'd normally install under the underlay?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
The creaking is typically because there is give or unevenness to the substrate, is this the case?

MDF instead of plywood would be fine, it is the thickness that matters in that 8mm of anything will only be strong enough even out small dips or lips.

Presumably, the floor in-place is a suspended floor? Or a solid floor?

You have 8mm laminate in-place on top of what kind and thickness of sub-floor or underlayment?

Or, are you saying that the 8mm MDF laminate is fixed to the bare joists? That you dont have a sub-floor?

You must install the new flooring according to Mfr's Inst's. Call them if the pack instructions are not clear.

From what i can gather - No, you must remove the 8mm laminate before any other flooring goes down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back