Some Decking Questions - Noggins, Plugging, Finishing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm under way with my ground level cedar decking project but would be grateful of any help with the following questions:

1. Deck size is 3m x 3m, with joists at 45 deg. I have a little bit of timber left so would it be worth putting some noggins in?

2. The deck is to be attached to the wall and I was thinking about supporting the frame at 1.5 metre centres, with perhaps a support in the middle for the centre joist. I am using 6 x 2 timber. I will do a bounce test but I know some people suggest greater support - any recommendations (particularly do I need to add more support for some of the joists)?

3. I will probably be using around 250 stainless steel screws. I was wondering whether it would be worth cutting some plugs to hide the screw heads. Will be pretty time consuming but would it be worth it?

4. Finally, I would as much as possible like to keep the fairly new timber look to the deck. I have seen reference to products such as Seasonite and Textrol but are these any good for want I want or are there any other good products for cedar.

Any advice or information would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Damian

Sponsored Links
1. Do you mean the deckboards at 45 degrees? No real point in putting joists at 45, will be far quicker to cut them straight.

2. Will be fine at 1.5, solid.

3. Use Square head screws, pricey, but they look great.

4. Don't know, ask again in the woodwork section. Cedar will grey over time so yes, something should be put on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back