SOME downstairs rads cold at bottom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 10 yo 4 bed detached house, I've lived here 3 years. All the central heating pipes are 10mm plastic, it is a gravity fed system. the boiler is downstairs in the garage. All rads have TRVs bar one, in the hall by the stat.

When we have decorated the house, in turn each radiator has been replaced for an equivalent sized Barlo round top. There are only 3 original radiators left out of a total of 16. Each year at around about this time before the heating is switched on again I bleed the system and then turn on heating. Most of my downstairs rads are luke warm at the bottom and hot at the top. The system has been cleaned once whilst i've lived here.

It is not all the radiators, so i turn off all the hot ones and leave the problem ones on and after a short time they get hot too. I have tried removing the TRVs and pressing the little tit on the v/v but i cannot seem to get all 16 totally hot together.

I have read about sludge but I can't see it being this because they do get hot when the load is reduced, at the moment i have 1 radiator off the wall and the valves shut off due to decorating, there is no circuit through these pipes. I think this will give me performance issues but it is the same each year when all 16 are operational? Any advice would be gratefully received. Could it be an undersized pump maybe? it's a wilo gold 50 on setting 3 at the moment.

Sponsored Links
They are all 2 years old or less! some downstairs ones are 100% hot and they're new too
I haven't flushed them no, i cant see how they are sludged if when i turn the others off they then get hot, until the others are reintroduced

Has the system been balanced correctly being as you have removed so many rads.

Sponsored Links
is that possible with one radiator off? i did balance them last year, whether its correctly or not i cannot say for sure - i will look at the thread for balancing and learn how to properly - if i can with a rad missing? thanks for that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back