Some initial observations on the use of smart trvs on all the rads. (Zero zoning)

Thanks, what I've done is check the part numbers, it's as I thought, the valve body is a common part. That's the good news. The bad news is that the flow to hot water, ie with the valve energised, exits from the opposite side of the tee in relation to the mid posn valve. So it's either a drain down, or the the valve energised whenever the heating is on. Not best practice, I guess
No, you really want the valve to be energised for HW.

Sponsored Links
FWIW I decided as an interim measure to go the low tech route.
One room I'd fitted unused back boxes and conduit so it was easy to pull in some cables and hard wire. For other rooms I paired a wireless program stat (Salus RT510) with two receivers - one controls the rad valve, the other turns on the pump.
I've a thermal store, so can use a modulating pump and no bypass. At the rads I have Honeywell thermo-hydraulic actuators which are silent but slow.
Not perfect, but a massive step up in comfort (it's an awkward house to control temperature wise) and should do for a while until I make or find something better. TBH all the "smart" systems I've looked at so far have downsides I don't want to live with. I also have to consider the WAF and she can cope with a stat in each room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back