some questions about rads...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is there an ideal temperature that rads should be? mine are aprx 57 degs at the top and 52 degs at the bottom.

how much difference bertween top and bottom is acceptable? 57 feels v hot to touch but 52 feels much cooler.

if i want my rads hotter should i just turn the temp up at the boiler? the rads are on max at the valves. the boiler is currently on around 61 deg.

what do the numbers on rad thermostats correspond to? why dont the thermostats just tell you what temp the rad is at rather than some arbitory number that doesnt seem to be consistent between rads and between thermostat makes.

do the numbers on the thermostat correspond with room temp or rad temp?

cheers :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Ideal temp for rads is however hot or cold your home is and how much it needs heating up to your desired heat.

Well, it is going to be a few degrees difference between top and bottom because the hotter water rises and as it cools it falls, 5 degrees sounds about right, but all depends if your rads are dirty inside.

The numbers on the radiator valves correspond to the temperature that it will allow the radiator to heat the room, when the room reaches desired temperature that the TRV is allowing, there is a wax stick inside the TRV head that will expand and push the valve pin down closing it off.

The radiator valve doesn't just give you a temperature because it is not just a temperature, it is between a temperature range and they can all be different, and I guess they just decided numbers were better.

Numbers on the thermostat correspond to room temperature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back