Sorry to sound dumb but what does "cutting in" mea

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I have read a few threads where people mention "cutting in" before rolling no the walls etc, what does this actually mean

Is it painting edges and around frames prior to rolling on the remainder walls or is it something else?

Sponsored Links
Hi guys, I have read a few threads where people mention "cutting in" before rolling no the walls etc, what does this actually mean

Is it painting edges and around frames prior to rolling on the remainder walls or is it something else?
Hi, in a word yes.

If so the next question would be, how to achieve neat cutting in as regardless of how good quality the brush is, you can still notice its been done using a brush. I have purchased one of those thin rollers specific for details and edges, would this be good enough or are there better tools for the job?

If so the next question would be, how to achieve neat cutting in as regardless of how good quality the brush is, you can still notice its been done using a brush. I have purchased one of those thin rollers specific for details and edges, would this be good enough or are there better tools for the job?

No...waste of time.

Get a decent brush, dampen it slightly..it allows the paint to be drawn into it quicker..nice sturdy platform to stand on..thats the right height...work some paint into the brush first..maybe on a wall somewhere..dont overload the brush..start painting the wall about 2 inches below where you are cutting in to..then work your way up..if your left handed start on the left and work away from you..laying off to te left..if your right handed..then vicky verky

Paint in a shallow arc...dont push the brush, pull it and use the side of the brush to cut in not the corner of it

And..finally..dont hold your breath when your concentrating..it can make your hand shake.

Sponsored Links
:( And here was me thinking it was the best solution for my edges.

How on earth can i do edges of walls professionally?

lol i still manage to get brush strokes, surely its not as difficult as this. Im normally very sharp with Diy stuff, to be honest i normally am not too bad with decorating. Either its quality of brushes being rubbish nowadays or god knows

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back