soundproof back of fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Noisy neighbors with TV on chimney breast and a huge surround system.
I'm after soundproofing party wall but while doing so my wife wants a multi fuel burner fitted. At present we have a gas fire fitted so the hole is effectively sealed because of it (not that it seems to stop any noise) but I am worried that once I open up the cavity it will increase the noise.
is there anyway I can soundproof behind the burner against the party wall.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
If you open the cavity, then you could either plaster the available space or fit "Soundstop" plaster-board in this space but unless you covered the full area of the common wall, I don't believe this would give you a big improvement and you would need - I believe - to repair this space.

If you have the space- presumably on your wall - the commonly suggested solution in this case is two layers of plaster-board with the edges being over-lapped to minimise noise transfer.

Thanks,
I would be soundproofing the whole party wall.
Alcoves - probably a decoupled wall.
Chimney breast - M20 panels or 2 x gyproc soundproof plasterboard (to save space).
It was just behind the fire in the chimney breast I was concerned about as it needs to be kept to a minimal thickness and fireproof next to a multifuel burner.

As above.
opening up and fitting an appliance will have hardly any effect.
You must have the installation instructions and dimensions from the burner Mfr before doing anything further.

The odds are that for all your soundproofing work (& loss of floor space) you will achieve very little in the way of sound proofing. Sound can carry through joists & floors and below floors for instance, and find more routes than moisture for penetrating a room.

What makes you think that you have a cavity party wall - esp the flue back wall?

Sponsored Links
Sorry didn't make myself clear.
When I say cavity I mean open up the chimney breast to put in a multi fuel burner not that the party wall has a cavity.

Appologies for the confusion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back