soundproofing alcoves ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi have moved into new Victorian house in Hackney, North London and am having some real problems with noise from the neighbours. It seems to be only coming through from the alcoves either side of our fireplace. Do I need to do whole wall or can I just do the alcoves. I also don't mind losing some space there so is an independent wall a good idea and what materials can I use on this ? Many thanks in advance for any help please.

Sponsored Links
You need to pay attention to the junctions of the wall to the floor and ceiling, and other walls.

An independent stud wall, with acoustic mineral wool plus two layers of soundblock plasterboard, would be a good start.

My favourite site for soundproofing ideas: https://www.soundstop.co.uk/soundproofing_walls.php

They’re only good if you don’t have space for a separate stud wall.

Sponsored Links
The result may not be as good as you hope - some sound will still come through the chimney breast.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back