Source for 3PH motor & Inverter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For a project I am going to need a 8 pole 3ph motor ... to get around 720 rpm (Could make do with 6 pole 950 rpm at a push)

Also an inverter to run it on 1ph, and also private soft start over 5sec or so.

Anybody know any on-line sources for such 2nd hand gear ?

Sponsored Links
I'm in 'mulling it around' mode.

Need to power a soil sifter / sieve .... so need a reasonably low shaft speed (direct or gearbox)
Also need soft start ... so I can load up sieve and then press start.

Advice seem to be a 3/4hp 3ph motor - 6 pole to get lower full load speed, and run this via a 1ph to 3ph inverter.
this would give me the 3ph conversion and soft start.

But open to ideas :)

Sponsored Links
concrete mixer with holes cut out and covered with screening mesh..?

alternatively a decent 3 phase inverter will give you speed controll and soft start..

agreed ... hence my original Q of where I can pick these up 2nd hand ... tried eBAy.

Need a 3PH motor 3/4hp would be enough (1/2hp may even do it)
plus suitably sized controller.

i have never seen an inverter drive for sale on ebay etc ever.

another way to do it would be to use a DC motor and dc control circuit? probably alot cheaper to buy the stuff if you cant find the 3phase stuff.

then there is the possibilty of getting a cheap DC motor from an old washing machine etc....unless its a 240v 3 phase washing machine which is becoming more common now (indesit, hotpoint super silent etc)

for that lot on ebay id say it was cheap! our ABB inverters alone cost more than the whole package!

I'm in 'mulling it around' mode.
Need to power a soil sifter / sieve .... so need a reasonably low shaft speed (direct or gearbox)
Also need soft start ... so I can load up sieve and then press start.
Advice seem to be a 3/4hp 3ph motor - 6 pole to get lower full load speed, and run this via a 1ph to 3ph inverter.
this would give me the 3ph conversion and soft start.
But open to ideas :)
You should look at the comparative costing of a belt drive, using a single phase motor with soft starter.

Regards

how do you want this sieve to operate?

cam on the end of the motor just bumping the thing up and down?
cam and lever arm to shake it back and forth?
uneven weight on the end to just vibrate it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back