Spanish tiles + laid on an existing stone floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought an old place in southern spain, and finance dictates I will have to lay my own floor tiles. However the place does have at the moment, the bog standard, dirty white (flecked) mediterranean tiles.
(I can provide a picture if that helps)
I want to lay some terracotta on top, but a friend mentioned this would be tricky and I should research how to do it. Can I lay new tiles on top without digging up the old ones? (it's a clean flat surface at the mo' and a dig up would be a major job). Is there a special adhesive, bonding I should use and take with me. Suggestions welcomed. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Tarifa said:
Is there a special adhesive, bonding I should use and take with me.
Yes, take me with you. :LOL:

Take a good masonary drill bit size approx 12mm and drill holes everywhere, then a floor sealer. Buy a good floor tiles adhesive (rubbery type) It will tell you on the manufacter details or best to ring their helpline for further information. Providing you do the preparation correctly, you shouldn't have any problem.

Many thanks. Any suggestions on the 'floor tiles adhesive (rubbery type)'. Any brands spring to mind ?And what ate the drilled holes for ?

Sponsored Links
Tarifa said:
what ate the drilled holes for ?
pop down down to your local tiles shop and they will advise you the best one for it.

The idea of the holes is to grip the adhesive to bond it better but you don't have to. Doesn't take long to drill a few holes, so might as well do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back