Sparkie abducted by aliens!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.I had sparkie who nipped away for a beer after getting paid and hasnt been seen since. I can only imagine some sad fate has become of him as he left without completing one small part of my lighting circuit. As I find the way he has done it confusing (ive got feeling he found it confusing too which is why he disappeared), I seek you guys superior knowledge.
Here the scene: Hall light and porch light. Hall light two way switched and does not cause me any problem at all.The porch light has never been connected and im not sure which way to do it I am sure the porch light is a spur from the hall light.I send pics of the confusing ceiling rose and the two loose black wires. Incidently, the top black loose wire is always live and the bottom one never( light on or off). Any ideas how to connect my porch light. thanks for any help. Howie
Sorry cant seen to paste pics on here. is there a way to do that? If not I can send by e-mail

Sponsored Links
Sign up at www.photobucket.com - you can upload pics there then post in a thread using
tags

Do you have a seperate switch for the porch light?

Thanks och aye. I do indeed have a double switch, one for the hall light and another for porch light. I have taken pics of the inside wiring of that switch and the opened ceiling rose.I am going to try that suggested link you sent to upload my pics. thanks for your prompt reply.Howie

Errrrrm. Sorry about all the links lol.. Its my first time trying uploading pics. Thanks

Sponsored Links
On the celing rose, the two black wires to the left, which were never connected, one(the top one) is alwyas live and the other not. For the double light switch which operates the hall and meant to operate the porch light, the right hand side of the switch(in pic) is for the hall light(this works fine) and the left for the porch light which does not work. There are 4 cables leading into the rose in case that cant be seen.the porch light I have wired as in a normal ceiling rose.
Thanks Howie

WOW never going to Braehead shopping centre on a bank holiday weekend again - talk about busy!!

Anyways...

Nice bit of work that....

From a quick look it could be the top black is the Neutral from the outside light, Live is taken from middle connector so not switched. Other black is the switch wire from the switch which he couldn't work out what to do with.....

Theres other possibilities too though

I'm sure I'll be corrected shortly ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back