spec me a new system!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am renovating an old property, and have come to the point of needing a heating system. i have fixed the roof, insulated it, and replaced 21 draughty windows with new double glazed ones.
currently the house has 2 combi boilers fitted, one serving hot water downstairs and heating upstairs, the other vice-versa. one boiler is a very old ferroli, and the other a new ish vaillant. i am resigned to the fact i will be losing them both.
the house has 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. i am taking one bathroom out, and making another into an en-suite, meaning the property will have 1 bathroom and an en-suite.
the ceilings are quite high - about 10ft, and the rooms are quite big. i filled out a radiator calculation form, and it reckoned that the four largest rooms would need about 11,000 btu each.
so, i have an opportunity to spec pretty much whatever i want, but the question is, what? i know nothing about the subject, and am getting conflicting advice. BG reckon an unvented system is the way to go, as after turning 3 taps on, we measured a flow rate of 21 litres per minute, about 7l/min for each tap. BG think this means we cant have a pressurised system, but are returning with a surveyor to check properly.
another fitting company reckon this is no problem, and a vaillant pressurised system is the way forward.
so, any ideas / suggestions / tips / things to avoid?

Sponsored Links
not much wrong with them i suppose. the ferroli is temperamental and very noisy. the vaillant seems ok.
the whole system is a little odd, there is a thermostat halfway up the stairs, so when one boiler warms downstairs, the warm air reaches the thermostat and turns off the upstairs boiler.
also, they are located quite a distance from the en-suite, meaning there is much running of water to be done before anything warm appears.
the ferroli is quite old, and i think if we were keeping the combis it would be replaced anyway, but as i say the vaillant seems fine.
we are replacing the bathroom fittings, and are hoping to have well spec'd bathrooms, and one of our wants is a nice powerful shower in each. not sure if the combis can manage that between them, or they certainly aren't at the moment!
in short, if i was on a budget, i would replace the ferroli and move on, but i would rather take the opportunity to get the system right. after this is done, there are a number of other disruptive jobs to be done, such as fireplaces, and flooring followed by some light wall moving then a new kitchen and lots of decorating. i don't want to get to the end of that lot, then be unhappy at the shower / heating performance.
if i can get it right with the combis, shout up - open to all suggestions!

Sponsored Links
If you can get the right flow rate then you could use an unvented cylinder. This could be heated by the vaillant combi you already have, which could also supply a utility room or something similar via hot water supply.
What vaillant combi is it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back