Speed of bath draining

All impressions, rather than timed.....

I've often wondered if sinks and baths might drain faster, were it not for the fact that once the plug is removed, the water begins to swirl, as it progresses down the plug hole - drawing in air, and sometimes even more air via the overflow....

Whether by luck, or design, our bath has always been reasonably quick to drain, but always accompanied by lots of swirling, and air sucked in at the overflow - when fitted with a normal, bath sized plug. I recently needed to swap the plug, so decided to fit a pop-up type. The pop-up, at a guess restrict the outlet area to around 50%, so I anticipated it might double the time it takes to drain the bath. In fact it appears to drain (at least initially) somewhat quicker than it did before. The water no longer swirls as it nears the plug hole, the suction of air via the overflow and glucking has stopped. Only once the level in the bath has reduced to the final inch or two, do it appear to drain slower.

My conclusion - Obviously, the swirling, flings the water out and away from the plug hole, slowing the flow.

You could blame it on brexit i suppose? :p

Sponsored Links
I would be concerned about using siphonic drainage technics on gutters
I would be concerned about the gutter sizing if it were carrying so much water that the outlet were completely submerged!
Just cleaned my bath trap out.
Hepvo?

I find a bottle of water empties quicker if you give it a swirl first.
Yeah but not the final remnants; they stay swirling round the sides for much longer, prolonging the time taken before you can call the bottle truly emptied
the very last bend that congeals with fatty stuff, and if I heat that bend with a hot air gun..
..then you kick the can down the road and into the fatberg that the utility co have to deal with. Dont pour fat down the sink, keep a Pringles can in the freezer and tip your waste fat into it; being frozen stops it stinking, then bin it directly into the wheelie on bin day

Dont pour fat down the sink, keep a Pringles can in the freezer and tip your waste fat into it; being frozen stops it stinking, then bin it directly into the wheelie on bin day

If I told that to Mrs Bod it would go in one ear and out the other. Infact there's a constant stream of traffic going in one side and out the other.

Perhaps take her to a museum.. https://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/discover/putting-fatberg-display
..and tell her if she keeps pouring fat down the sink you'll sign her up for volunteering on one of the clean-up teams :D

It's notionally no different to taking a dump in the kids' sand pit at the local park then covering it up - it's litter that causes a health hazard, and someone else has to clean it up; antisocial behaviour that I'm sure she wouldn't engage in another context!

(That wasn't intended to sound so preachy, just a "has she thought about it in this context..")

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Dont pour fat down the sink, keep a Pringles can in the freezer and tip your waste fat into it; being frozen stops it stinking, then bin it directly into the wheelie on bin day

When emptying and refilling the chip pan (lard), I put an inch or two of cold water in a large pan, with a carrier bag open on top of the water. I then pour the contents of the chip pan in, still warm, after cooking chips, but allowing to cool a bit. The cold water helps prevent the carrier bag melting from the heat, then helps the fat to set in the bag. Once near set, the bag can be transferred to the bin, leaving the big pan clean.

Fat used in frying pans etc., after use and still hot, gets poured out into the kitchen bin, on to of whatever in the bin, to soak it up. To final clean both chip pan and used frying pans, I put a pint of water in the bottom, a few drops of Fairy, then on hob to simmer until clean. The still hot water, then gets poured down the kitchen sink drain, which helps keep that clean.

Back