Speedfit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During a recent boiler install the fitter accidentally drilled through the hot water pipe in the concrete floor,he repaired it using a short length of copper pipe and some speedfit connectors,this stopped the leak and the next day he came back and filled the hole with concrete.
I have now been told that these connectors should not be used in a concrete floor and all joints should be soldered,can someone put my mind at rest.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
SHould of gone for brass compression, the reason he will have gone for pushfit connectors is its damned hard to solder a pipe that you cant drain properly. Sounds like your plumber needs to get a wet and dry vac and learn the piece of bread trick ;)

he's not a plumber he's a cowboy
any plumber that use de-mountable fitting's in screed etc should be classed as cowboys.

Sponsored Links
SHould of gone for brass compression, the reason he will have gone for pushfit connectors is its damned hard to solder a pipe that you cant drain properly. Sounds like your plumber needs to get a wet and dry vac and learn the piece of bread trick ;)

Thanks for your answer.

You say he should have used,is it illegal to use them in a concrete floor?

Why are they not recommended for use in a concrete floor?

The wife said he did wrap them in some kind of blue plastic sheeting/lining will this help?

not ideal , but nothing really wrong with it .

ufh job i was on screeders nicked pipe with spade , no one was gonna replace screed and 100mtr run of pipe , 16mm hep 20 socket fitted . job done.

your worrying about nothing .

Arf

it's not illegal it's not advised by the manufactorer.
and they won't guarentee it if it fails.
it rots the rubber seals and they are more inclined to blow off than a soldered fitting.

just bad workmanship. so god help your boiler install. ;)

not ideal , but nothing really wrong with it .

ufh job i was on screeders nicked pipe with spade , no one was gonna replace screed and 100mtr run of pipe , 16mm hep 20 socket fitted . job done.

your worrying about nothing .

Arf

thats a bodge, always tell a non plumber who don't know the water regs.

Arf
thats a bodge, always tell a non plumber who don't know the water regs.

Laying of pipe in concrete and masonry.

Speedfit pipe and fittings can be laid in concrete and masonry provided they are installed in conduit pipe with access boxes for the fittings. As stated in Water Regulation Schedule 2.7 and BS8000 : Part 15, fittings and pipe should be removable for possible replacement. Insulation is also recommended to protect against heat loss and the effects of frost.

The guy didn't use conduit and there are no access boxes but at least he did wrap the pipes as i mentioned earlier.
To be honest i am sick of the sight of them i do not know what to do next,do i keep my fingers crossed or do i contact the firm and ask why they allow their corgi registered plumbers to break water regulations.

Was the original pipe in conduit, in accordance with the regs? If so he could have pulled a new length through.
If not, it was already in breach of the regs so what's he supposed to do, rip your floor up for the entire length of the pipe?
Yes he should have put a lid over the pushfit or compression fittings, but it wouldn't exactly be neat. I would have preferred brass compression, I must admit.
But at least you know where the damned things are!

Was the original pipe in conduit, in accordance with the regs? If so he could have pulled a new length through.
If not, it was already in breach of the regs so what's he supposed to do, rip your floor up for the entire length of the pipe?

The copper pipe was wrapped in some kind of insulation ,the original heating system was put in over 15 years ago before i bought the property.

what's he supposed to do,
my answer is a decent job not the cowboy job he appears to have done.

Yes he should have put a lid over the pushfit or compression fittings, but it wouldn't exactly be neat. I would have preferred brass compression, I must admit.
But at least you know where the damned things are!

I know why he didn't use the compression fittings in the bathroom where he originally burst the pipe , he couldn't get enough room to use a spanner it was very tight,he would have had to remove the toilet and bath to make the hole bigger.
At the time i was not bothered as i assumed these fittings were up to the job.

You could ask the firm why they allow their Corgi fitters to break the water regs but they'll probably tell you Corgi is only interested in making money sorry i meant gas. :LOL:

if he had room to get speedfit in he had more than enough room for compression and more than enough time to solder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back