Splash course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having an extension built and have just noticed that the builder has used the same facing brick from ground level with no splash course.
The existing house doesnt appear to have a distinct splash course but then again they dont appear to be absorbing water like the new ones are.
How much of a problem is it ? and is it worth raising with him?

Sponsored Links
If its below the dpc what does it matter? Countless buildings use the same brickwork from founds to eaves.

I'm having an extension built and have just noticed that the builder has used the same facing brick from ground level with no splash course.
The existing house doesnt appear to have a distinct splash course but then again they dont appear to be absorbing water like the new ones are.
How much of a problem is it ? and is it worth raising with him?
When you say "from ground level" I assume you mean from DPC (Damp Proof Course) level

The bricks below DPC should be an F2 frost resistant brick, so if the bricks that are being used aren't this class they could suffer early failure.

If its below the dpc what does it matter? Countless buildings use the same brickwork from founds to eaves.
Personally I would think i matters quite a lot, you shouldn't really be using a common / facing brick below DPC

Maybe the buildings with the same bricks from founds to eaves are using a F2 class brick so they can be used below DPC.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I've just looked them up and the new bricks are class F2.

I'm much happier now....

Thankyou everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back