Splits in electric grill element

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Up until now I have only used the main cavity of the old oven that was here when I moved in. I used the grill section for the first time today and while it worked fine I noticed that there appears to be splits in the element. The element went the usual red with the heat but the split bits were really bright volcano red. Obviously I'm not going to touch them, but is it OK to use like that?

Sponsored Links
it's time to get the element replaced..

while it's probably not immediately dangerous, it's not long for this world.. it will fail in a matter of weeks or months depending on how much you use it..

Google your cooker type adding in 'grill element' and you find a replacement.

I had one of those elements explode in the grill of an old oven we had. Molten metal from the explosion caused a surprising amount of damage. I'm glad I wasn't looking at it at the time.

I've never left an electric ring switched on without a saucepan on top since then, in case a similar thing happens.

I also suggest replacing it!

Sponsored Links
Sounds nasty. When the heat is off you can see a sort of white/grey pumice substance peeking from the cracks. The oven (Neff) is ancient and I really just want to use it for another few months until I get a new oven sorted. I don't think its worth the money or hastle to replace the element. Actually looking at the old instruction manual it appears that it was already replaced in the past. Maybe the old circotherm has a history.

I could avoiding grilling or I could risk it - but the explosion sounds nasty! If I use it again I certainly won't be staring at it now.

Does anyone know exactly what the element is made of? Are there live wires inside all of the element or just a kyrptonite compound of some sort that you don't want dropping into in a cheese toasty?

The element is some kind of ceramic substance with windings of heat wire inside it (possibly Nichrome wire), but please DO NOT use that grill again. I hate electric grills anyway, they take so long to warm up you've lost your appetite for that burger you were about to cook.

I have a gas grill, its the beez neez. Its the type with a sheet of metal with lots of tiny holes through it. The ignitor sparks against the sheet, and the flame comes from each of these holes creating a nice even heat surface.

With the metal elements, the casing is usually earthed, the inner core bit has live one end and the neutral the other, all that seperates it from earth is the white powder in it, once the element splits and it is damaged, there is a possibility of the inner core shorting to earth and as others said molten metal will then blow out.

I don't know for sure, but I always assumed the white powder is magnesium oxide, as found in MI cable?

I didn't know what that was, but a quick check on Wikipedia says:

Inhalation of magnesium oxide fumes can cause metal fume fever :eek:

Its packed in tight, so should be alright.
Those who have done pyro/mi would have breathed it in loads of times.

I'm still here.

We were taught at college to wash our hands after handling it, and avoid ingestion though.

Its packed in tight, so should be alright.
Those who have done pyro/mi would have breathed it in loads of times.

it's not a vapour in that form, it's a powder..

as for MI, all I know is that the compound for sealing the ends used to give you cancer... so don't trust the colleges who might still have old stock of compound ( though they ought to have used it all by now.. ).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back