Splitting Digital TV Signal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this is in the wrong section but i was unsure where to put it.

We live in an apartment that was built last year. We have one tv Ariel socket that is fed from the antenna on the roof. The site manager provided us with a splitter (a small T-shaped device that just branches the signal). One branch of the splitter goes into the TV in the living room and the other branch goes into a socket next to the original, which is supposed to feed the signal to the other aerial sockets in the apartment.

The problem is that using this splitter reduces the signal to the TV in the living room and makes it blocky, but the TV in the bedroom is ok. So it seemed to me that because i was splitting the signal, some kind of booster would be needed, but after a quick look on the internet it seems it might take more than i think. Just wanted some advice as to how i can get a good signal for all the TV points in my house. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
use a good brand of amplifier that specifically says its intended for digital TV

Is that because the other ones are for a terestrial signal?

At what point would i connect this?

1. At the point when the signal comes into my house
2. After the split to the tv, to boost that
3. After the split to the rest of the house

Or would the amplifyer contain a split anyway?

I have found this, does it look suitable;

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=33969&doy=8m4#overview

Thanks for the help.

Yes, one of those will help reduce the losses.
If there are bad joints in the aerial feed you may get reflections that mess up Freeview but an amp will help, generally.

TTC

Sponsored Links
JimmyDeemo said:
Is that because the other ones are for a terestrial signal?

At what point would i connect this?

1. At the point when the signal comes into my house
2. After the split to the tv, to boost that
3. After the split to the rest of the house

Or would the amplifyer contain a split anyway?

I have found this, does it look suitable;

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=33969&doy=8m4#overview

Thanks for the help.

You should use the amplifier on the cable from the aerial, so its aerial in, then out to your property & out to other property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back